Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Assessment of coping with muscular dystrophy: a methodological evaluation.
Jönköping University, School of Health Science, HHJ, Dep. of Nursing Science. Jönköping University, School of Health Science, HHJ. Quality improvements, innovations and leadership in health care and social work.
1994 (English)In: Journal of Advanced Nursing, ISSN 0309-2402, E-ISSN 1365-2648, Vol. 20, no 2, p. 314-323Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

There is no published research on coping with muscular dystrophy among adults. In the present study, two questionnaires, the Reaction to the Diagnosis of Cancer Questionnaire (RDCQ) and the Mental Adjustment to Cancer scale (MAC), were modified in order to measure coping with muscular dystrophy (MD). A total of 60 people (16-64 years) with diagnosed MD answered the questionnaires in two interviews including semi-structured questions. The replies to these questions were analysed by two independent judges on the basis of the RDCQ and MAC categories for coping. The purpose was twofold: to investigate if cancer-coping categories could be used for the classification of interview answers concerning coping with MD, and to gain knowledge about specific coping with MD. Analysis indicated that 82% of replies to semi-structured questions concerned with emotion/appraisal-focused coping with MD can be described by means of RDCQ and MAC categories. Eight new categories were developed to classify the remaining 18%: Anticipation, Creation of new life values, Minimization, Establishment of control over everyday life, Secretiveness, Fear, Social comparison and Coping with heredity. In addition, 997 replies were classified to represent problem-focused coping. The judges reached good agreement with respect to the proportions of replies in the respective coping categories. However, kappa (kappa) values were within the range of fair to good agreement.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
1994. Vol. 20, no 2, p. 314-323
Keywords [en]
Adaptation; Psychological, Adolescent, Adult, Aged, Emotions, Female, Humans, Interviews/standards, Male, Middle Aged, Muscular Dystrophies/*psychology, Neoplasms/psychology, Psychological Tests/standards, Psychometrics, Questionnaires/standards
National Category
Nursing Nursing
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:hj:diva-3723PubMedID: 7930150OAI: oai:DiVA.org:hj-3723DiVA, id: diva2:34543
Available from: 2007-10-10 Created: 2007-10-10 Last updated: 2017-12-12Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text in DiVA

Other links

PubMedhttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Retrieve&list_uids=7930150&dopt=Citation

Authority records BETA

Ahlström, Gerd

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Ahlström, Gerd
By organisation
HHJ, Dep. of Nursing ScienceHHJ. Quality improvements, innovations and leadership in health care and social work
In the same journal
Journal of Advanced Nursing
NursingNursing

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

pubmed
urn-nbn

Altmetric score

pubmed
urn-nbn
Total: 150 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf